Dolly Parton's Revelation: Her Grandfather's Disapproval of Her Unconventional Style


Dolly Parton has consistently graced the world with her iconic appearance and unapologetic fashion choices, weathering the skeptics with unwavering grace.

As we eagerly anticipate the November release of Parton's album, "Rockstar," and her upcoming book, "Behind the Seams: My Life in Rhinestones," she sat down with The Guardian for a revealing interview. In this fresh exposé, Parton bares the details of her upbringing, where her daring fashion sense drew both verbal reprimands and physical punishment.

This celebrated country music luminary has never shied away from crediting the "town tramp" as her muse. "She was flamboyant, with her vivid red lipstick, elongated crimson nails, and high-heeled shoes adorned with whimsical plastic goldfish swimming in the heels," Parton shared with The Guardian. "Her wardrobe consisted of short skirts and low-cut tops, and to my young eyes, she epitomized beauty."

Despite the town's collective disapproval, branding the woman as "nothing but trash," Parton couldn't help but admire her. She would boldly proclaim, "That's who I aspire to be when I grow up."

According to The Guardian, Parton's grandfather, a preacher, was disapproving of her sartorial choices, but his admonishments failed to sway her determination. "It wasn't easy for me; I'm a sensitive soul. Reprimands and chastisements hurt my feelings deeply. Yet, if you desire something fervently, you find the strength within to pursue it," Parton admitted.

In a 1977 interview with Barbara Walters, which has resurfaced over the years due to Walters' audacious questioning regarding Parton's appearance, the journalist advised, "You don't need to maintain this look; you're inherently beautiful. You don't need the blonde wigs or the extravagant attire."

In response, the "9 to 5" star stated, "It's a conscious choice. I have no inclination to conform to societal norms. Being fashionable is the easiest path, and I've always vowed not to take it. What matters most is authenticity – and that's where I stand."

When asked if she ever felt like a subject of ridicule, Parton, a Grammy-winning artist, confidently replied, "Over the years, many may have thought the joke was on me, but in reality, it was on the public. I know precisely what I'm doing. I'm self-assured in my identity and my talent."

In 2021, Oprah revisited the theme of mockery, mentioning the 1977 Walters interview. To this, Parton reflected, "In the early days, it did affect me to some extent. It didn't change who I am or how I express myself, but excessive jests did occasionally make me feel self-conscious. Yet, that was when I recognized that they didn't truly understand who I was."

Parton's 49th album, "Rockstar," is slated for release on November 17, boasting a collaboration with music legends such as Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Mick Fleetwood handles the drums, and Peter Frampton graces the album with his guitar mastery. Additionally, the album features tracks with Elton John, Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett, and Judas Priest's Rob Halford. Furthermore, Lizzo joins Parton on a captivating rendition of "Stairway to Heaven."

"Behind the Seams: My Life in Rhinestones," her literary masterpiece chronicling her life and career in gem-encrusted attire, will be available in bookstores starting October 17.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url